The Inverter-Charger is a Vulcan System component that generates 120V AC from energy stored within its internal battery, solar panels, or Energy Stores. It can operate independently or when connected to one or more Energy Stores.
Features and Capabilities
- Lithium Iron Phosphate (LifePO4) Battery — Store and use your energy over 5000 times in 10 years
- 30A Automatic AC Transfer Switch — Plug into a wall receptacle between appliances, or into a subpanel or generator transfer box to provide power through house wiring – automatically switches to battery power when grid power is lost
- 2000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter — Generates 120V AC
- MPPT Solar Charge Controller — Connect directly to up to 150V of solar panels with native MC4 plugs
- Power Bus — Connect one or more Energy Stores for as much capacity required;
- 360 Watt AC Charger — Charges the LifePO4 battery from grid or generator energy in less than 4 hours, and
- Electromagnetic Interference Filter (EMI) — Filter high frequencies from from the grid and inverter power
- Temperature Compensated Charging — Ensures battery integrity and longevity if system components are charging in temperatures below 0 and above 55 degrees Celsius
Benefits of the Vulcan’s Key Features
The AC automatic transfer switch serves as a permanent pass-through between the AC loads and grid or generator source of up to 30A. No manual intervention is required during a power outage to switch circuits or unplug an appliance from its source and into the Vulcan Energy System unit. Additionally, the unit can be used in conjunction with a timer unit to be scheduled to run from stored energy during peak grid demand hours and top off the batteries during off-peak times. This reduces grid demand during peak hours of usage. When grid power is lost, the automatic switching feature activates within a fraction of one second and restores the grid or generator connection once the source of AC voltage is restored.
When energy is stored from a DC source, the Inverter-Charger unit will use the incoming solar and/or Energy Store to generate AC. The unit prioritizes energy use to first generating 120V AC and then storing it. If an AC load is not present at the 120V AC output, then all incoming energy will be stored in the battery until it reaches 100% capacity.
A built-in electromagnetic interference (EMI) filter cleans all 120V AC passing through and being generated by the unit. With EMI filtering, the unit can operate sensitive electronics such as radio equipment without generating interference.
Not all inverters work alike or are created equally. Having a big battery is of little benefit if the inverter that converts the battery energy to 120V AC operates at low efficiency. Vulcan inverters are industrial grade and operate at 91.5% efficiency. Lower-cost energy generators operate at 80% – 85% efficiency or lower. That means for a 5KWH battery system, Vulcan provides 4.575KWH vs. 4.25KWH for 85% inverters and 4KWH for 80% inverters. Higher efficiency equals hours or days more power when you need it most.
The Vulcan Inverter-Charger Detail